Monday, February 26, 2007

Blasphemy is not education.


PZ Meyer brings up an attempt to protest and prevent a play being put on at the University of Minnesota.

Blasphemy is not education.
I understand the University of Minnesota plans to stage an anti-Catholic play, "The Pope and the Witch" by Dario Fo, a communist playwright. … I believe this play is blasphemous and not a legitimate expression of academic freedom. I am deeply offended as a Catholic. Together with thousands of TFP Student Action members, I urge you to respect the Catholic Faith and cancel "The Pope and the Witch."



I beg to differ. Blasphemy is highly educational, and I hope our university can do more of it. We are not here to reassure you that your ignorance and prejudices are alright, we're supposed to shake up our students.

I'm also amused that all this indignant young person can say about Dario Fo is that he is a communist — right. Dario Fo, winner of the 1997 Nobel for literature. Religion does seem to make for a fine set of blinders, doesn't it?


It is silly. How dare ideas not commiserate with his be allowed to be displayed, discussed, or produced as art.

Apparently, education is about not discussing differences. Or at least it seems the differences he doesn't like. Now if there are lies in the work, he should out together a talk/panel and argue about the flaws and issues. But with faith, that is not an option. It is pray with me or shut your mouth.

The fact any college would do that (shut up), is disturbing. Thankfully the U of M is not doing this. Good for them. Have the play, and then let people discuss it. It is one of the great blessings of the college experience.

So tell me, what is wrong with blasphemy? It is highly educational.

No comments: