Friday, March 30, 2007

Darwin and Design on EvolutionBlog

Jason Rosenhouse, at EvolutionBlog, went and checked out an ID (Intelligent Design) extraveganza down Knoxville, Tennessee.

It is lain out so far in 4 parts.

Darwin and Design in Knoxville, Part One
The ID folks put on one of their dog and pony shows in Knoxville, TN this weekend. My curiosity piqued, I decided to check it out.

Darwin and Design in Knoxville, Part Two
At this point Strobel and Meyer left the stage. The room grew dark, and a video came on the large screen to my left. It was an excerpt from the The Privileged Planet, based on the book of the same title. The book was written by astronomer Guillermo Gonzalez and theologian Jay Richards, and represented yet another gloss on the fine-tuning argument.

Darwin and Design in Knoxville, Part Three
Stephen Meyer was next up. Strobel and Richards played their parts well, but, let's face it, the conference thus far had mostly been amateur hour. Strobel stepped in it every time he mentioned something vaguely scientific, but he's not exactly thrust forward as one of the major intellects of the ID movement. Richards presented his goofy argument with sufficient eloquence, but there was too little of substance in his presentation to make him worth too much emotional energy.

Darwin and Design in Knoxville, Part Four
So I'm standing on line at Subway, contemplating the very long wait between me and my turkey on wheat, when I happen to overhear part of the conversation going on among the people immediately in front of me. There were four people, an older woman and three teenagers. At this point I thought the woman was the mother of the three teens, but later I would learn they were not related.

CONCLUSION to come, on EVOLUTIONBLOG.

No comments: