Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Party jumping

Some have been pushing for democrats in Michigan to go out and vote for Romney, to give him a win and keep him in the race. I am not crazy about the idea. I am all for keeping him in and keeping things messy for Republicans, but it seems like dirty pool. And some conservatives (like Tucker) have tried to restart the meme that Democrats cheat...wait Limbaugh started that up again over Clinton in NH.

But it is not the only case of it happening.


Nevada and Obama
A campaign flier created by a precinct captain for Sen. Barack Obama urges Nevada Republicans and independents to switch party affiliations “for a day” and caucus in the Democratic primary in order to defeat Sen. Hillary Clinton.

The flier was put out by Bob Buchanan, a volunteer organizer for Obama in Reno. Buchanan, who insists that Obama’s campaign had no connection to the literature, said he distributed approximately 100 copies of the flier before rewriting it, replacing criticism of Clinton with compliments of Obama.

UPDATE: Buchanan tells Salon that, in the wake of the backlash against his flier, he could be parting ways with the Obama campaign. “I may have to resign as precinct captain or something,” he said. “I don’t want to screw his campaign up.”

Huckabee and Michigan

I got a call from Huck's "independent" push pollers [Friday night]. It was a robo-call with a script that was micro-targeted for my Democratic union household. The robo-voice, which asked "poll" questions and left me time to answer, was an African-American male voice. Wanted to know if I was aware that "there is no real choice in the Michigan Democratic primary this year" and encouraged me to vote in the Repub primary instead.

Also asked if I was aware that the Machinists Union had endorsed Huckabee "for the first time in history..." (I assume by tonite they will add the Painters, too.) And if I knew that Huckabee was a fighter for working families, etc.

At the end, the robo-voice said the poll "was not affiliated with or authorized by any candidate or committee," but all the "questions" were designed to communicate positive information about the Huckster.

No comments: