Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Nice to learn

One reason to get into podcasts is to hear about things you know and here the latest thinking, or other opinions. And there are many podcasts for that. But it is also nice to learn, or learn about learning resources.

I have to thank dl.tv for finally saying I don't have to be embarrassed about having Vista on my computer. Really, as I go through tech podcasts (yeah, I mean you CNET and the rest), the default line is Vista sucks, Vista is bad, you shouldn't use Vista. Vista is flawed. But so was the last OS, and the one before that. But the same troubles arise for the other OS series as well. And in the end, I don't have a choice, short of buying a system, and then buying a copy of XP. And their are plenty of businesses making sweet profit off people determined to do that. I can't stomach wasting money like that. Yeah, I have many games that I can never play again,but life goes on. So thanks dl.tv for reminding me that my Vista is running fine and getting the job done. Not to mention the rest of the show they do which is fun.

Also, WebbAlert sent me to CommonCraft to learn about some tech concepts which I sadly let slip by. In some of the cases I use sadly advisedly. For instance, for the story Morgan mentions how it is great to have an easy way to explain to grandma how great Twitter is. Now, I admit I have heard Twitter mentioned, but never in context (though the more tech podcast I listen to the more I am becoming aware of the uses). So she explains CommonCrafts demonstrations which lay it out for the layperson. And CommonCraft's craftings are good. I quickly came to appreciate what Twitter is. Good for them. And a good resource for you.

The trouble is, now that I know what Twitter is, I know find it amazingly STUPID. Yes. I said it. It is stupid...for me. Have a constantly running miniblog of what you are doing throughout the day. I find it hard to justify foisting myself on people like this. I am not so deluded to think my day to day life is that interesting, it kills me to live.

Now, their are caveats. If you are selling or promoting something, like yourself (i.e. a celebrity or media personality) then it makes sense. For Webb, or Leo Laporte, it is a cool use of tech and a way to give fans a peek in. Or as a TV/Movie star, a way for fans to connect. Or with a product, or candidacy for higher office, a way to sway votes, maybe. But otherwise, it is like...Facebook. Why? So people can send you images of martinis? Brian Cooley, on Buzz Report from CNET, The humiliation of Vista episode, wittily points to how stupid it is, particularly when a group of adults get going sending little pictures of unicorns and poo around. This is plain silly.

But the caveats. Yes, it can be a way to connect and draw in customers, or build interest or support for project one hopes to turn into a TV show, or to get people into your organization. But it is all still silly.

And if people want me to feel bad about running on Vista, all I have to say is,

"Uh hu. Are you on Facebook?"

No comments: