Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Full Metal Mitt

High ya, you youngins. Once long in the mists of time their was a magical time known an 'Nam.

Oh, it was a grand old times. You had all the drugs you wanted. Listened to the Rolling Stones all the time. And got to hand out with Charlie Sheen, Mel Gibson, Robin Williams, Marlon Brando, and Tom Hanks.

It was great. If you don't believe me, talk to all the Republican leaders and pundits who will go on at no end about the war...and how much they just WISH they could have gone over and served, but...

If you ever thought the numerous antigay/secretly gay Republican was getting ridiculous. Look at the most war hawkish on them, and their own willingness to serve in a time of war. Limbaugh has a butt pimple. Cheney, was married...and I have kid now! Gingrich, same as Cheney. Bush, he served...what?

Look, I don't begrudge someone not wanting to fight in a war. I don't want to kill anyone. I don't want to die. War sucks. But unlike these guys, I don't claim otherwise. I and a lot of other people don't feel the need to wax rhapsodical about glory, victory, and duty. If we need to fight and war, fine. But let's not bullshit about it, okay?

So let's consider are new possible national leader, Willard Mitt Romney. What's he say about Vietnam? He couldn't go. But not to worry, he longed to be there. If only. Trouble is, he had to go to school (remember Animal House) and then he had to go to France, to convert people to his religion. So, you know, he had a good reason to skip war. So he asked for and took 4 deferments to stay out of it.

Let's look at Mitt's statements on this:

1994
It was not my desire to go off and serve in Vietnam, but nor did I take any actions to remove myself from the pool of young men who were eligible for the draft,” Romney told the newspaper.
2007
I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam and be representing our country there, and in some ways it was frustrating not to feel like I was there as part of the troops that were fighting in Vietnam.”
Mitt changed his tune, as he changed his audience. Shocker, I know.

But, Mitt in Vietnam? That'd end well.


No comments: